GOING BEYOND SEARCH:
ADVANCING DIGITAL COMPETENCES IN LIBRARIES AND RESEARCH COMMUNITIES
Funded byNordPlus, project No. NPHZ-2019/10075
- National Library of Latvia (coordinator Anda Baklāne, email@example.com)
- Humlab, Umeå University (Stefan Gelfgren)
- Institute of Literature, Folklore and Art, University of Latvia (Sanita Reinsone, Jānis Daugavietis)
- National Library of Estonia (Jane Makke)
- National Library of Lithuania (Giedrė Čistovienė)
The initiative seeks to foster the dissemination of digital competences in the ALM (archive, library, museum) and research communities and strengthen networks among ALM, education, and research sectors in order to improve practices of working with digital content and data analysis tools. Over past decades libraries have accumulated large collections of digital resources, however, their potential for research and education is not fully deployed. Libraries lack necessary infrastructures, skills, and knowledge that would enable them to provide digital research services while researchers do not have access to library collections to use their digital tools for metadata mining, text analysis, application of GIS, and data visualization. This project targets collaboration and knowledge transfer between library professionals, academic researchers and IT specialists in the form of a "library lab" or competence centre that helps to develop new services for education and research.
The project comprises of series of intensive workshops and summer schools rotating among participant countries - Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. The skills and services developed as a result of workshops will be piloted in research projects that will be based on the collections of national libraries of Baltic states. As a result of the project, new online teaching and learning materials for the in-depth digital exploration of digital heritage content will be developed in the national libraries of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania and disseminated to the target audiences.
- Project meeting. Online, 27 June 2019
- Project meeting. Riga, 22 July 2019
- Baltic Summer School of Digital Humanities: Essentials of Coding and Encoding. Riga, 23-26 July 2019. See video lectures
- Project meeting. Online, 13 December 2019
- Project meeting. Online, 8 May 2020
- Project meeting. Online, 12 June 2020
- Project meeting. Online, 14 August 2020
- Online workshop "Creating Corpora and Text Mining in Digital Libraries". 28-29 October 2020. National Library of Latvia. See video lectures
- Online/onsite workshop "Digital Humanities and Digital Archives". 4 November 2020. National Library of Estonia. Conference programme
- Project meeting. Online, 10 February 2021
- Project meeting. Online, 14 April 2021
- Online workshop "Analysing Metadata". 8-9 June 2021. Humlab, Umeå University.
- Project meeting. Riga, 14 July 2021
- Baltic Summer School of Digital Humanities 2021: Digital Methods in Humanities and Social Sciences. 23-26 August 2021. Tallinn, Estonia.
- Project meeting. Online, 12 October 2021
- International conference "Theatrum Libri: The Press, Reading and Dissemination in Early Modern Europe". Vilnius, 1-3 December 2021. Conference programme Tarptautinė mokslinė konferencija „Theatrum libri" - YouTube
Baltic Summer School of Digital Humanities page:
BSSDH2019 video lectures:
The Digital Humanities Series and other DH videos on the digitalhumanities.lv YouTube channel:
The Digital Humanities Series: Video Stories on Digital Humanities and Digital Scholarship
Latvian Prose Counter